Saturday, July 5, 2014

How do I get visitation?

Most parent's work this out between themselves or it is spelled out in the divorce decree.  The standard for the non-paying parent is every other weekend.

If you are not getting the visitation you desire and the custodial parent is not cooperative your remedy is to get what is called a parenting plan.

A parenting plan will spell out your visitation rights.  If the custodial parent is not abiding by the parenting plan you may file contempt charges against the custodial parent so the court can force them to honor the parenting plan.

That said, the court system should always be your last resort.  It is always more efficient and cheaper to try to work out a mutually agreeable visitation schedule and to reach an agreement is also in the best interest of child as well.

However, if an agreement can't be reached then contact and attorney or the court facilitator and get a parenting plan which clearly outlines your visitation rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment