Saturday, July 12, 2014

Can I claim the child on my taxes if I pay support?

This depends on your child support order. Typically the court will grant the paying parent the right to claim the child every other year, if they are current in all of their child support payments. If both parents claim the child then you may have to provide a copy of the child support order showing you have the right to claim them if that's the case. The irs will determine who has the right to claim the child and make the other parent amend their return.  You should discuss this with the other parent before you file to make sure you both are not claiming the child as this may cause you both to be audited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment